Advertisement

stop smoking w/ the Moon?

topic posted Thu, July 7, 2005 - 9:18 AM by  LotusFeet
Share/Save/Bookmark
A friend of mine suggested to check the Farmer's Almanac and to stop smoking with the moon signs. So I'm just wondering which sign(s) is the best for this sort of thing?

thanks for any input!
Jannette
posted by:
LotusFeet
Tennessee
Advertisement
  • Re: stop smoking w/ the Moon?

Thu, July 7, 2005 - 9:38 AM

For ending anything, use the end of the Moon cycle.

You have two choices here. Since New Moon was Wednesday, and today is the first light of the Moon - the beginning of many ancient magic cycles count TODAY as day 1 of smoke free. Also later today we have Sun in Cancer and Moon in Leo and this is auspicious for everything. Today really is a good day to start.

If you want more time to marshal your inner resources, then use the next time Moon is in Pisces 7/24 as 'last day' or the next dark of the Moon which is 8/3.

Good luck.

cheers,
    J

Thu, July 7, 2005 - 9:48 AM
      Ahhhh, now that makes perfect sense. Thanks man!
      • Unsu...

Re: stop smoking w/ the Moon?

Fri, July 8, 2005 - 2:06 PM
        I managed to quit starting with the last Aries new Moon, which was in... April, I think? Then I started again 2 weeks later :( but the quitting part of it was surprisingly smooth. At 2 weeks, I was pretty much done with the detox, even if in the end I couldn't keep myself from jumping back in.

I'm trying again to quit with the Cancer new moon (which is seems a little less auspicious, given Cancer's neediness). I haven't had a cigarette since Monday (I gave myself a bit of a head start). I'll keep you posted :)
        • Unsu...

Sat, July 9, 2005 - 12:18 PM
          Well, so much for that -- looks like I was right, Cancer new moon = not so auspicious! I had a performance last night and I caved in to quell my performance anxiety (it actually worked quite well in that respect).

I think the Aries new moon was a good shot for it mainly because of the Aries association with new beginnings/new projects -- it was easier when I did it in that case because I could see myself beginning a new phase of my life, one that would be fundamentally different in the sense that I would no longer be a human smokestack.

With regard to Earth signs, maybe I could see Virgo or Cap -- but with Taurus' love of sensuality/indulgence, I'd think it would be a little more difficult under a Taurean new moon. On the other hand, you'd have the Taurean stubborness/determination working for you, though.
  • Unsu...

Sat, July 9, 2005 - 12:41 AM
    I would suggest selecting a New Moon in an Earth Sign (Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn).

Selecting one in a Fire or Water sign may not offer the support that is needed to kick the addiction for good, and an Air sign would allow you to rationalize your dependancy.

However, and Earth sign Moon simply "is", and will be a great source of support for your own nurturance and renewal.

Selecting the end of the Moon phase *may* work, but if you see quiting as the establishment of a new pattern in your life that you wish to be perpetually sustained, syncing up your withdrawals with the New Moon's impetus towards "dark renewal", might also provide a hidden benefit of "pulling" at the parts which have been pulling at you... ;)

No matter what moon you choose, good luck!

Sat, July 9, 2005 - 3:05 AM
      I agree, trying to quit something while the moon is in an earth sign seems like it would support quitting a physical addiction well. Fortunately you don't have to wait till it is a new moon in an earth sign. Just find out when the moon is in an earth sign after the next full moon on the 21st of July. I have heard and found that if you are trying to quit or banish something from your life to do it while the moon is waning (getting smaller, going from full to new) as opposed to waxing (getting bigger, going from new to full).

By the way, good luck. I've quit myself and it's been one of the hardest things I've ever done, but well worth it. Gotta say, for myself the best deterent to not start smoking again (nad it has been tempting), has been thinking about what it was like quitting and NEVER wanting to go through it again. :-)

Sat, July 9, 2005 - 12:26 PM
    Hey All,
    according to most Western Magick Spells, to start something new you begin on the New Moon, because the Moon waxes from their (grows) But to end something (like Smoking) you begin on the FULL Moon, because from there the Moon wanes (decreases) -- I have used this before many times and it will work.

SO the Next FULL moon is the ideal time to start a ritual to BREAK a habit, addiction, leave something behind. The next NEW Moon is the time to invite soemthing new to grow. These Moon rituals can take place at every Full and New Moon.

Also, Smoking specifically is generally related to Fire element, not the Earth element. Mars and Sun are the planets, mainly Mars.

Mon, July 11, 2005 - 7:02 AM
    Thank you, everyone! For the great advice and the shared experiences! I know no matter the moon, no matter the sign, this is going to be hard...

thanks again!
    Jannette

Mon, July 11, 2005 - 8:59 AM
      Hi Jannette,

Hello, sending this to you privately because it is not really astrology.

For what it is worth I have found certain Cuban or Cuban seed cigars to be incredible. Non adulterated tobacco is a peace herb. Less buzz, no cravings at all. If you want to go cold turkey more power to you but if you want a substitute they are worth trying. I'd try them sooner than any patch. Mean this well, sorry if I'm making things more difficult!

cheers,
      J

Recent topics in "Astrology"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
I don't know.. dejan 6 October 28, 2014
HELP! Am I cursed? SaraH 10 October 27, 2014
book : Person Centered Astrology, by Dane Rudhyar K 0 October 25, 2014
moderated fran 6 October 25, 2014