Advertisement

Dominant planet

topic posted Mon, December 24, 2007 - 11:40 AM by  Mel
Share/Save/Bookmark
How do you decipher which planet is dominant in a birth chart?
posted by:
Mel
offline Mel
Connecticut
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: Dominant planet

Mon, December 24, 2007 - 11:48 AM
    This is a topic asrologers often argue about.

These are ways I determine "clout" in any planetary force:

1) The depositor of the Rising Sign (the planet associated with the sign of the Ascendant, ie., Scorpio Rising and Pluto).

2) The number of aspects connecting one particular planet with other planets; the more aspects, the more influential the planet.

3) The planet nearest the Midheaven point of the chart.

In some cases there can be two planets vying for dominance in a chart, symbolizing two internal dynamics or complexes within the individual working to dominate the consciousness.
    • Unsu...

Sat, January 12, 2008 - 4:01 AM
      Sherpa,

What about parallels to the MC? I know, declinations and aspects are different issues, but they say parallels are interpreted similarly to conjunctions.
  • Unsu...

Mon, December 24, 2007 - 11:56 AM
    Vedic astrology has something called shadbala (six strengths) where each planet gets points based on six different factors. The factors are totaled up and that is considered the overall strength of each planet. The factors are astronomically based. Sthana bala is based on sign and house position. Dig bala is based on which angular direction each planet prefers. Kala bala is based on the Vedic calendar and which planets rule what days, months, etc. (the only non-astronomical factor). Ayana bala is based on declination (north/south). Cheshta bala is a planet's strength based on its distance from the Sun (retrograde = strongest, combust = weakest). Drig bala is based on how much benefic or malefic aspect each planet is getting. There is some disagreement among astrologers on how to calculate some of the balas. Most Vedic astrologers show you a graph so there is an easy visual to see which planet is most prominent.

Another way to see dominance is to look for the ultimate dispositor. Each planet is ruled by another planet and you can connect the planets by rulership to make a kind of tree graph. The planets at the base of the tree are the ones that ultimately rule all of the other planets. Sometimes it is a single planet, other times there is more than one ultimate dispositor, and sometimes there are a chain of planets that rule each other in a circle.

Another simple method is to look at what planets rule the Ascendant, Moon, and/or Sun, and what planets are conjunct these important points in the chart. The Earth, Moon, and Sun are the bodies that determine who we are as an individual, so planets influencing these bodies will have a lot of dominance in the chart.

I find that shadbala is the most revealing in terms of what planet you can see in a person. I have Mercury as my strongest planet in shadbala, followed by Mars. Mercury people are manifesters, with powers of organization and communication. Mars people love challenges and also like lots of stimulation. They want to prove themselves against some adversity, so they can sometimes create difficult or painful situations for themselves. Mars is the problem-solver, while Mercury prevents problems from occurring in the first place. Mercury is the earth element, Mars is fire.

The ultimate dispositors in my chart are the Moon, Sun, & Mars, which rule each other in a circle. These are all planets of self, so I am a very self-focused person, for better or worse. I have a lot of appreciation for myself, but sometimes that can turn into self-importance and self-obsession. The Sun is pure being-ness, the center of our reality, and the light of consciousness that shines through us. The Moon is the self-reflective quality that gives us an awareness of self, otherwise known as our ego self. Mars is the part of us that asserts that ego in the world through action and strength of character.

Again, the important planets according to my Ascendant, Moon & Sun are the Moon, Sun & Mars, so the third method emphasizes the ultimate dispositors.

I'm sure there are other methods too.

David
    • Mel
      Mel
      offline 0

Tue, December 25, 2007 - 8:54 PM
      Thank you for taking the time to explain. I think the first thing I ever read on finding the strongest planet was on Bob Mark's site and he talked about if a chart had several houses in a row without and planets, you simply look for the first plant after the gap (counterclockwise). This seemed way too simple for me. Plus I have what he calls a spatter pattern chart, so there are no large Gaps!

Happy Holidays
      • Unsu...

Wed, December 26, 2007 - 11:28 AM
        Over here he is referring (I think) to the leading planet in the case of a 'locomotive' shaped chart. The planet is emphasised, but not the ruler of the chart.
    • Unsu...

Sat, January 12, 2008 - 1:25 AM
      Hi David. Interested in (and grateful for) all your post on vedic astrology. Jupiter and the Sun in my chart appear to be the most emphasised planets. Is there another that I'm neglecting? Many thanks.
      • Unsu...

Sat, January 12, 2008 - 8:55 AM
        Yes, absolutely Sun & Jupiter. Jupiter rules the Ascendant with Sun almost exactly conjunct the Ascendant, and Sun & Jupiter in mutual reception.

Venus is also going to be important for you. Venus rules the Moon and is also conjunct the Ascendant. However, Venus is going to be more problematic as it doesn't like to be in that sign and it is combust the Sun and it rules the 6th sign from the Rising Sign. So you may experience Venus strongly in your life, but in a more difficult way.

DR
        • Unsu...

Sat, January 12, 2008 - 1:36 PM
          Thanks David, always edifying and intriguing with the vedic twist. I didn't realise Venus wasn't happy in Sagittarius (not surprising though, now that I think of it). Being combust and in the first house causing it to be compromised does make sense. Interesting that if it rules the 6th sign from the rising sign it causes some sort of accidental 'fall'. I thought my dificulty with the Venus aspects of life was from the 5th containing Saturn and the 7th house ruler sitting in the 12th . This adds another piece to the puzzle.

Interesting that perceptive practitioners of the tropical and vedic systems can both come to the same conclusions, but using different means. Must read up on it to better appreciate the differences. Thanks again and best wishes.
          • Unsu...

Sat, January 12, 2008 - 6:07 PM
            Thanks David Ray each planet has a story to tell in each chart. Is mine dominated by Mercury? Of course here i sit on tribe talking about astrology....but yet I feel we can pick the planets story we want told in our lives. For the longest time I have loved Mars...why not Venus loved Mars w/as much passion as any mortal.... Just another one of those planetary obsessions of mine. Sigh
            • Unsu...

Sat, January 12, 2008 - 9:00 PM
              I think each person needs to work out each planet in their chart at some time in their life. Jyotish has the dasas, which offers an interesting insight into when each planet is more dominant. I'm in my Sun dasa now, and will move into my Moon dasa in 2011.
            • Unsu...

Sat, January 12, 2008 - 9:13 PM
              Reid,

Your Mars obsession makes sense, as you have Moon in Scorpio and Mars is very strong in its own sign of Aries. But Mars can be a tricky planet for Gemini Ascendants to express in their lives in a healthy way. Is it a dangerous obsession...?

David
  • Re: Dominant planet

Tue, December 25, 2007 - 9:18 PM
    I often use whatever planet is in rulership (and I use classical rulers, i.e. Mars for Scorpio, not Pluto). Sometimes there are more than one, and that can get tricky. That is not the only factor but I use it when I have to read a chart really fast hehehe! In my chart, that would be Saturn because it is in rulership in Aquarius (yep, classical ruler), in the 9th super-close to the midheaven and I have 4 things in Capricorn (5 if you count the main asteroids hehehe) :-)

Wed, December 26, 2007 - 8:42 AM
    i like donna cunningham's method which put emphasis in this order

1 planet within 10 degrees of Ascendant or Midheaven

2 planet within 10 degrees of Desendant or IC

3 planet which has most aspects

4 planet which aspects the sun, moon, or ascendant most powerfully

5 the planet whos house contains the sun, moon, or ascendant

6 the planet whos house contains the most planets

Sat, December 29, 2007 - 9:18 AM
      How does one determine which is the most dominant planet if there are multiple contenders? For example, mine could be any of the following:

Jupiter: In 12th house, in Gemini, conjuncting my Ascendant. Also rules my Sagittarius Moon

Mercury: Ruler of my Gemini Ascendant, and placed in my third house (its own house) in Leo

Saturn: Located in the 10th house (its own house) in Pisces (not conjunct the MC) but at the head of a Grand Water Trine with Sun and Neptune, also forming a kite with opposing Uranus and Pluto in Virgo

Moon: Ruler of my second house Cancer Sun

Pluto: Planet with the most aspects (in fourth house in Virgo)

Uranus: Exactly 10 degrees from the IC, in fourth house in Virgo

Sat, January 12, 2008 - 9:46 AM
        Does anyone have any thoughts on what my most dominant planet is, given the information below? I will also add that my 12 house Jupiter in Gemini is conjunct my North Node (also in 12th house in Gemini).

Laurel
  • Unsu...

Wed, December 26, 2007 - 4:53 PM
    maybe the best way to figure out ur dominant planet is to analyze urself, ur traits, and see which planet's description fits u best. In my case, I would say Neptune and Mercury influence me in equal ways, with Pluto coming in on 3rd place.
    Everyone is influenced by all the planets. But in different quantities, of course.

Wed, December 26, 2007 - 5:31 PM
      This is hard for me to chose. Diferent planets in my chart all have equil strength to their placements.
      Scorpio Asc. Pluto and Mars are in the 10th Virgo, far enough apart, they both have their own due, w/o affect from the other.

I have Sun Merc (9th) and Venus (8th) in Cancer, So I also give the Moon alot of weight, in 7th Gem. Merc/ moon sextile, soooo........

Venus 8th conj Asc w nept behind in the 12th. So Nept. carries alot of weight too..

rx Saturn conj IC very tight orb, so Saturn has maybe, the most weight, in regards to my emotional center Cancer Sun?..
      w/ 5 aspects, wether I like it or not...lol

Then if I just look who I am, and w/ Saturn in Aqu. Uranus has a whole lota invluence all over, several aspects, just out of orb w/ MC in the 10th, 7 deg before Pluto.

Lets not forget Big Jupiter, 5th in aries, Maybe not any Dominance, But Loud
      5 aspects there too, not to mention sq Sun, in each other houses...
      Even Chiron, Pisces 4th, bottom point of Kite opp Pluto... No 2 nemisis, I'm beginning to understand....

Did I miss anybody......

Wed, December 26, 2007 - 5:32 PM
        oops Venus trine Asc..
        • Unsu...

Wed, December 26, 2007 - 5:35 PM
          libra ascendant, venus in capricorn, & capricorn stellium. i consider venus and saturn (closest to mc) to be the dominant planets in my natal chart.
          • Unsu...

Wed, December 26, 2007 - 5:40 PM
            Natalie,
            I have noticed with stelliums that there seems to be more than one dominant planet .
            kate
            • Unsu...

Wed, December 26, 2007 - 5:48 PM
              kate,

<<I have noticed with stelliums that there seems to be more than one dominant planet . >>

with a libra acendant and venus part of a capricorn stellium and capricorn mercury in mutual reception with my saturn i feel this would definitely be the case for me :)
              • Mel
                Mel
                offline 0

Wed, December 26, 2007 - 7:21 PM
                Hmm! Does Moon count as a planet in regards to this topic?

If I go by Ascendant, which is cancer, then I get Moon. My moon is actually placed in Scorpio which is another water sign. And Astrology Cafe says, "For some of us, our Moons seem to drive our personalities more than the Sun does. This is particularly true if the Moon is in a water sign (Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces), or if it is conjunct an angle in the chart (near the Ascendant, Descendant, 4th house cusp, or 10th house cusp). "

Taking the advice to think about which planet I personally feel it is, I'd say Moon or Jupiter. And Jupiter would make some sense since my Sun is Sag and Sag is the only sign in my chart with 3 planets.

It still confuses me a bit though. Based on advice I'd say Moon and Jupiter. But if I looked at my chart (and didnt know it was me) Im not sure I would pick out Jupiter. He does sort of stand alone over in the 12th house nearly into Cancer, my Ascendant (but actually in Gemin)i. He opposes my sun and by eye, appears to oppose all three of those planets in Sag (Sun, Mercury and Neptune). Still dont think I would spot him as dominant though. Hmm!

Thanks for all the info so far by the way.

Fri, December 28, 2007 - 2:54 PM
    What I learned about this that the most important planets are the ruler of the ascendent, and your sun, and maybe your moon if you're a women, any planet conjunct any of the axis MC-IC; AC-DC,
    planets that rule a sign where you have a stellium, planets that are alone in one of the quadrants, and any planet on it's ruling sign, and house, or on it's exalted sign.
    That's what I remember and use.
    • Unsu...

Fri, December 28, 2007 - 3:40 PM
      Hummm...

Star,

I got Sun, Mars, Mercury in the 10th house in Cancer.... Virgo Moon and Rising... Gemini MC.

Would Mercury and Moon be the dominant planets? (speaking of all that 10th house stuff... Saturn also is floating down in the 3rd)
      • Unsu...

Fri, December 28, 2007 - 5:07 PM
        I'm lost again. Here's my chart. What is the "dominant planet" and how did you decide which was the dominant planet?
        astronuts.tribe.net/photos/3...5d16f6081
        • Unsu...

Fri, December 28, 2007 - 5:12 PM
          By just looking at the chart... Im going with Pluto and Jupiter ... Jupiter in Sagittarius, placed in the 1st.

Then All that Scorpio stuff... Going back towards Pluto in the 9th.
        • Unsu...

Fri, December 28, 2007 - 5:25 PM
          Dear question mark,

It seems Pluto is ur ruler. But Pluto's conjunct Venus, the ruler of ur Sun sign, which shows Venus might have an influence, as well.

U also have a strongly placed Neptune, there. Perhaps even more influential than Venus or Jupiter, since it's conjunct both ur Sun and Mars, the 2 driving forces of an individual. It's also strongly placed in its 12th house, the house it rules.

In fact, it's the only planet in ur chart that "sits on its throne", meaning in the house it rules.
        • Unsu...

Fri, December 28, 2007 - 5:26 PM
          So my final verdict is Pluto and Neptune as ur chart rulers.
          • Unsu...

Fri, December 28, 2007 - 5:40 PM
            Hmmm, I think Mercury's mine...

What do you think?

astronuts.tribe.net/photos/0...d9df070eb
            • Unsu...

Fri, December 28, 2007 - 5:54 PM
              Hey, how come the houses are different sizes? Kaylie, you have a 12th house the size of 11th and 12th houses combined.

What does House Size mean? Anything?
            • Unsu...

Fri, December 28, 2007 - 5:57 PM
              Wow! Venus, Mars and Pluto all conjunct one another! That's gotta be the sexiest thing I've ever seen! "laughs"

But, yeah, Mercury's very well-placed there. It sits in the 3rd, the house it rules, and it governs both ur Sun and Rising. But I imagine that trine it makes with its "friend", Neptune, can be potentially problematic.

Or maybe not...Since Neptune is all crammed up in the 6th house, like a blue whale in a pool, it could mean it's being led by Mercury, as well. Put to its service. And since the trine is an easy aspect, it could mean u manage to use ur imagination in a healthy manner, without letting it block ur reason.
            • Unsu...

Sat, December 29, 2007 - 3:07 AM
              I say that Pluto/Mars.... with Venus in Libra is a pretty interesting sight!

I say.. Mercury and Venus
              • Unsu...

Sat, December 29, 2007 - 8:34 AM
                I have a very high appreciation for good food, Allen. For me, it's the quality, not the quantity, well sometimes! ;-) I also LOVE to make food for other people. (That HAS to be the virgo in me!) I've thought about catering before, or something along those lines....
                • Unsu...

Sat, December 29, 2007 - 8:37 AM
                  Mercury and Venus, eh? Forget catering, I should write romance novels or become a phone sex operator! lol
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.
                    Unsu...

Fri, January 11, 2008 - 3:23 PM
                    And then you could eat good food :)
          • Unsu...

Fri, December 28, 2007 - 5:49 PM
            I have two Pluto votes. Why Pluto? It's in the 9th House. So are Venus and Uranus. It's near the MC spot, but Venus is right on the MC spot. Venus and Pluto are both in Virgo.

I'm still lost. I read the other posts, and it seems there are a lot of factors that MIGHT or MIGHT NOT be used to determine the ruling planet.

Oh, and what does it mean to have a Dominant Planet?
            • Unsu...

Fri, December 28, 2007 - 6:00 PM
              determining ur ruling planet could help u in further understanding transits. If it's one planet that monopolizes u, u'll know for sure that planets transiting in aspect to this planet or the planet's transits through houses will be of paramount importance.
              • Unsu...

Fri, December 28, 2007 - 6:04 PM
                So is that why whenever my car breaks down, guys almost cause accidents trying to stop to help me? And, when I go to a restaurant with a group of people, we ALWAYS get good service if the waiter's male? lol
                • Unsu...

Fri, December 28, 2007 - 6:05 PM
                  I HATE Mercury retrogrades. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels every time!
                    Unsu...

Fri, December 28, 2007 - 6:08 PM
                    Kaylie,

Yes, it must be it.

Don't feel bad. Mercury retrogrades affect all of us...through the accident-prone Mercury-ruled ppl, of course."giggles". Well, I'm among them.
                • Unsu...

Sat, December 29, 2007 - 3:10 AM
                  Jupiter in Cancer... Moon in Taurus....
                  You should always get good food!

I do most of the time, and I got Venus in Taurus...
            • Unsu...

Fri, December 28, 2007 - 6:05 PM
              The question is do u "feel" plutonian? Do u like detective stories, hidden meanings, psychology, power, resources of all kinds, and how they're being managed? Do u think about death often?
              If the majority of these apply to u, then chances are Pluto has a major influence on u.
              • Unsu...

Sat, December 29, 2007 - 4:02 AM
                I didn't know one could feel "Plutonian" but yes, I LOVE the detective/spy novels. Everything has a hidden meaning. Psychology I have a degree in. Not into power, other than the electricity from the electric company. Ha!
                • Unsu...

Sat, December 29, 2007 - 8:24 AM
                  Well, then, it's settled. Pluto is the one for u.

Now, there's also Neptune. I say that it would influence u strongly, as well. Neptunian influence will bring increased sensitivity to one's environment, to the people around u. It also increases interest in religion. Finding some sort of belief system in this life is important to u.
                  It also shows an artistic streak. Especially through a high interest in music. Even addiction to music.
                  U might also enjoy painting and/or dancing.
                    Unsu...

Sat, December 29, 2007 - 9:18 AM
                    For me I resonate mostly with Jupiter in the 3rd in Pisces. It has 11 aspects to planets and angles, is the ascendant lord, as well as having mutual reception with Neptune in the first. I love to travel to foreign places, am religious/spiritually minded and am attracted to foreigners...I even changed my religion to a different one in which i was brought up in.

Sat, December 29, 2007 - 1:53 PM
                      Do singleton planets count as dominant planets in a chart?

Thu, January 10, 2008 - 11:18 PM
                        "Mercury and Venus, eh? Forget catering, I should write romance novels or become a phone sex operator! lol "
                        Kaylie,
                        That made me laugh... if my strongest planets are mercury and neptune, do you think maybe I should write while I'm on LSD? or write about being on drugs like that Hunter S. Thompson guy? That's interesting.

Fri, January 11, 2008 - 12:08 PM
                          I have also heard it broken down the way Sherpa has. I've been told my dominant planet is the Moon because I'm Cancer rising with Moon placed in my 4th house. But then again, I've also read that, based on it's location closest to the MC and the fact that it is Lord of both houses holding both my Sun (Taurus) and Moon (Libra), that Venus is my dominant planet. My most heavily aspected planet, however, is Mercury.

Personally, I strongly feel all three: Moon, Mercury and Venus. I think that a person's dominant planet(s), just as other aspects of their charts, are felt on an individual basis. I think someone else can have the same placements as I do, yet have totally different dominant planets in their chart based on what it feels like for them. Of course, I'm not professional.

p.s. I also heard the lord planet of the first sign after the MC is the dominant planet.
                          • Unsu...

Fri, January 11, 2008 - 1:27 PM
                            In medical astrology, it's always the planet that rules the Ascendant that takes the chart ruler position. The one that's the most powerful influence of vitality, physical strength and general physical resistance to illness.

And it does make sense, I guess. After all, the Asc IS "the body", ur "earthly incarnation", right?

That would make sense to see the Asc ruler to be ur dominant planet, because it's the one that will have the greatest impact on ur "physical life", and it also determines how the other areas of ur life, aka "the houses", will unfold.

Like someone on this tribe once said, the planets are "the actors", but the houses make "the stage" without which the planets would have no connection to us, whatsoever. And the Asc is the first, the "pulse" of ur chart wheel.

I guess the more planets u have in one sign, the more influence that sign's ruler's gonna have, also. Obviously, the Sun and Moon are most important in this regard, but others count, as well.

I used to think I was more of a Neptunian person, but now that I'm taking a closer look, I feel like Mercury really is my chart ruler, because "thinking" is what best defines me, regardless of whether it's dreamy, imaginative, or rational/ logical, or...mixed with intuition and feeling.

Unfortunately, u can never "see" another the way u can see urself, so I can't really check if this applies to other people, as well.

U need to find what best defines u as a living, working system, not as a product of the social conventions u were brought up under, or as a sum of ideas and values/beliefs u've reached by interacting with ur environment.

Meaning what keeps u going. For instance, I think my planets are Mercury and Neptune(ruler of my Sun, Mercury and Venus), because I'm the type that always wants to see what comes next, which sometimes overcomes my Pisces longing for "the end", the merging with eternity, and deep desire to "let go" of this world, but sometimes, it doesn't.

I feel like there's a constant struggle in me between reason and intuition, between mind and heart. But in my case, it's not just the preponderance of Neptune and Mercury ruled planets in my chart, but also the fact that Mercury, my so-called chart ruler is in Pisces, and squares a Moon-Mars-Jupiter stellium in Gemini, another Mercury-ruled sign.
                            Even more than that, those 3 squares are the only squares I have between planets in my chart.

So basically, Neptune's decided he rules Mercury, but gets opposed by the other Gemini planets. U'd say Neptune doesn't stand a chance, but Mercury's weakened by the Pisces detriment position. So neither wants to give in.

Anyway, my point is that it's probably useless to try and come up with the perfect algorithm to determine ur chart ruler, because each chart is unique.
                            It would be nice if it could be all summed up into a perfect mathematical equation, though.

Basically, I think u should start with the Asc ruler, and work ur way from there-see how that little sucker's doing -is it badly aspected? By which planets? What's the sign and related planet that rules it?

And last, but not least, which house does it reside in?

Fri, January 11, 2008 - 1:47 PM
                              Anyone care to take a look at mine?

I am thinking Mercury, cause I'm Virgo ASC, and Have Sun, Mars and Saturn in the Aquarius 6th house. Uranus is in the 1st house and I feel I am sensitive to the transits of Uranus.

My Venus and Moon though have had quite the energy in my life. I would say they were runnin the show up until recently! ; ) Venus Conj Chiron in Pisces, 7th house. Taurus Moon, 9th house.

My Chart people.tribe.net/1bcd04bf-...28565840bc
                              • Unsu...

Fri, January 11, 2008 - 3:33 PM
                                Sun & Venus

You have an exalted Venus in your chart, ruling the Moon. The Sun rules the Ascendant and is also prominently placed.

Saturn obviously is also very important, ruling the Sun, Mars and itself, and very strongly placed.

The Moon exalted in the 10th house is also very prominent, though I wouldn't say it rules your personality, which is more a blend of Sun, Venus and Saturn.

DR
                                • Unsu...

Fri, January 11, 2008 - 3:38 PM
                                  DR,

i always thought my dominant planets were venus & saturn.

but from what you are saying i am thinking it would be moon, saturn, & mercury.... what do you think?

here's a link to my chart

people.tribe.net/31f794ec-...91dbadb644

thanx,
                                  natty
                                  • Unsu...

Fri, January 11, 2008 - 3:45 PM
                                    I would agree with Venus & Saturn. Venus rules your Ascendant and is strongly placed, and Saturn rules so much including Venus & the Sun.

I would also say you have Sun influence, since the Sun rules your Moon, which is your mind and your personality. However, the Sun being in Aquarius probably makes you more like an Aquarius than a Leo. There is a place where Leo & Aquarius look the same on the outside, but the motivation behind the behavior is very different, and you bounce back and forth between the two.

DR
                                    • Unsu...

Fri, January 11, 2008 - 3:50 PM
                                      DR
                                      thanks for your insight... i know it's hard to see my chart, but sun is 29 capricorn 58'.... it is kind of pushed into aquarius in the chart cause all the planets that are placed toward the end of capricorn :)

how important do you think mercury is since it is in mutual reception with my saturn? & my moon being the only planet that is fixed?

Fri, January 11, 2008 - 4:39 PM
                                  David Ray

Thanks for your comments. I notice you are working with the personal planets, yes?

I'm thinking, I began to study astrology while under the influence of Uranus, and perhaps easily identify with that energy. I have recently finished the Uranus half return, and it was conj Venus/Chiron as well. T Uranus is still in opposition with Pluto, so perhaps when these transits are faded, I may better relate to the personal planets for a while.

• Unsu...

Fri, January 11, 2008 - 5:47 PM
                                    Lucky,

What do you mean by personal planets? I work with all of the traditional planets.

Fri, January 11, 2008 - 7:56 PM
                                      David Ray,
                                      Oh I just noticed all the planets discussed are the "personal planets" Sun, Moon, Mercury, Mars, Saturn. Some astrologers prefer to offer them more significance...and I was thinking about relating to Uranus...
                                      Thanks for the explanation about the houses & planets, I do recall seeing a article regarding angles etc. I do have a interest in Jyotish astrology, but I really need to get a handle on this wesern system before I try to learn another with different terms and language! I start school on Tue, and will probably have to give Astrology the backseat anyway!

Lucky ♣
                                      • Unsu...

Fri, January 11, 2008 - 11:34 PM
                                        Lucky,

I still don't know what you mean by personal planets.

Sat, January 12, 2008 - 8:25 AM
                                          "Personal" Sun Moon Venus Mercury Mars Saturn, I think you are referring to them as "traditional" planets. Same animal, different name...The others are "generational", Pluto, Uranus, Neptune, Jupiter, are sometimes not given as much weight in a chart, or maybe this is only when looking at transits?
                                          This is only what I have extrapolated in my self -taught learning, certainly not a critisism of your methods. : ) Feel free to set me straight!
                                          • Unsu...

Sat, January 12, 2008 - 8:59 AM
                                            Lucky,

Are you talking about distance from the Earth's orbit?

Jupiter is closer to the Earth's orbit than Saturn, so I'm not sure why Jupiter is a generational planet but Saturn isn't.

I don't currently study the new planets (Uranus, Neptune, Pluto), but maybe someday I will learn about those.

I consider these planets to be more "personal" in that they define the self & self-image - Sun, Moon, Mars
                                            These planets are personal but also involved in relationships - Venus, Mercury
                                            These planets are more impersonal and generational, having to do with society and outer limitations - Jupiter, Saturn

Jupiter is a traditional planet too, so if you included that in your "personal" group it would be the same. The Nodes are also included as very important in Vedic astrology.

DR

Fri, January 11, 2008 - 4:57 PM
                                  Quick Question...

I understand the planets in the signs under detriment, exaltation, fall. What about the planets in relation to the houses? Is it just that a planet is stronger when in it's own house or, would say Sun in the 11th house be in Fall?
                                  Like, Venus is in Pisces *and* the 7th house for me. This is a rather strong placement. What I am looking for would be a link to some chart describing this for the other planets as well? Anyone know?
                                  • Unsu...

Fri, January 11, 2008 - 5:45 PM
                                    Lucky,

There is a certain kind of house strength that is the same for all planets. Planets in angles are strongest, planets in succident houses are medium, and planets in cadent houses are weakest. In Jyotish, planets in 6th, 8th, & 12th are specifically challenged and give more adverse effects, while planets in angles and trines are particularly blessed and give more auspicious effects..

Then each planet has a direction that it wants to be in. This is kind of like exaltation & debilitation from a house perspective. The closer a planet is to its favorite angle, the stronger it is. The Sun & Mars like to be in the 10th, Moon & Venus like to be in the 4th, Jupiter & Mercury like to be in the 1st, and Saturn likes to be in the 7th.
                                    • Unsu...

Sat, January 12, 2008 - 3:46 AM
                                      "There is a certain kind of house strength that is the same for all planets. Planets in angles are strongest, planets in succident houses are medium, and planets in cadent houses are weakest."

That's cuz for the past 2000 years the world was yang-oriented. Basically what u refer to as "weak" here is yin-oriented. The planets themselves aren't weakened, we just can't see them because we're used to having things sticking in our eyes instead of seeking them out by their subtle traces.
                                      They're well set where they are and know what to do.

Meaning planets in cadent houses are Mutable in expressing their wishes, and Mutable mode, through its definition is more of a yin type of energy - never stubborn, always open to all that's new, used to learn more through observing and analyzing its environment, than direct confrontation, and most of all, not egotistic.

I, for one, have angular Sun, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune, and no succedent planets. All the rest are cadent, and they're the ones I feel most in their influence...especially my 9th house cluster.

Do u feel these theories really apply to u?

"and Saturn likes to be in the 7th. " - yeah, I bet that little devil wants to get his hands on Venus's turf.
                                • Unsu...

Fri, January 11, 2008 - 9:02 PM
                                  The only thing I almost said was venus ... but that was because it was exalted and because it was a midpoint for many things in your chart.

But I decided not to say venus because I am not sure if there are enough midpoints for it to be stronger than your ruling planet (planet associated with your ascendant)

You can probably "feel" the planet that influences you the strongest in some way ... just guessing.
  • Unsu...

Fri, January 11, 2008 - 1:02 PM
    I have a hard time deciding which is the most dominant just based on astrology.

Planets conjunct ascendant, vertex or Nnode are good planets.
    Repeated themes like 2nd/venus/taurus or 6th/mercury/virgo can point to candidates.
    Well aspected or placed planets (in exaltation or with a large number of aspects) are also good candidates.

How do you balance these things when they are all happening at once?
    I looked at my life and understanding of myself for evidence and I find uranus to be the most likely candidate for me: (Lots of abrupt changes and independence and inventions through all kinds of media and unexpected twists and originality dominating my life)

And it just so happens that uranus activates an enormous midpoint structure spanning all angles, planets(except my chart ruler, mercury ... but uranus is in H7 so...) and even most asteroids.
    • Unsu...

Fri, January 11, 2008 - 2:03 PM
      Pi314,

It's really tricky to try and figure out ur chart ruler, since u've got a grand trine there.

Ur traditional chart ruler would be Mercury, due to ur Gemini Asc, and it's well placed in Aries, in the 11th house. Since the only major aspects ur Mercury makes are a sextile to Venus and a trine to Jupiter, both easy aspects, its position is especially firm and settled.

And since it sits in the 11th house alone, it's easy to see why u would first of all feel "Aquarian", since the houses show the areas we are most attracted to and the people we strive to be, ultimately.

My guess is Mercury is ur chart ruler, and it's pushing u towards Aquarian matters through its position in the chart.

Aquarius traits are also present in ur more "basic self", as well, through the trines Uranus makes to ur Sun, Moon, and Jupiter.

And speaking of Jupiter, my guess is this planet is almost as important as Uranus in points of influence due to its conjunction to ur Moon, which is involved in the grand trine, and also due to its trine to Uranus, another planet in the trine.

It's true that u also have some aspects made by ur Sun, the third planet involved in the grand trine, but they're not as powerful as the conjunction.( an opposition to Saturn and a square to Neptune)

In fact, these aspects to the Sun might weaken the ego..thus making more room for Uranus/Jupiter/Moon - driven issues.
      I also included the Moon because it makes no stress aspects, thus gaining more influence than the Sun in ur chart.
      • Unsu...

Fri, January 11, 2008 - 2:40 PM
        I think I would say mercury is the "chart ruler" but uranus is most dominant.
        Note that mercury is sextile my acendant, too (wide orb kinda though)

It depends on how much stock one puts in midpoints I suppose.
        I think that normally midpoint structures have no real bearing on the dominance of planets.
        I think I may be an exception because of the number of midpoints that fall within 5 degrees of uranus (there are quite a few within 2 degrees of uranus as well ... its just not the WHOLE chart ... in my opinion it is not a yes or no for aspects and midpoints based on orbs ... it is more of a "how strong")

But yeah, jupiter and moon are also strong. So is neptune, actually.

There are a whole lot of strong placements in my opinion.

Sat, January 12, 2008 - 12:06 AM
          from that first post, mercury is ruler of 1st house, neptune has the most aspects and mars conj mc in my chart. three way?
      • Unsu...

Sat, January 12, 2008 - 9:07 AM
        Interesting ideas Sandra!

In Jyotish, planetary strength by house placement is just one of the factors that goes into shadbala, which shows a planet's full strength. So a planet could be in a cadent house but have a lot of other strength factors that makes it prominent.

I agree that planets in angles are more yang, that's a good way to put it. I didn't say planets there were better or worse. But more yang means that the planet has more force and impact in the world. A planet in a cadent house may be very prominent and important to your chart and nature, but it will have a harder time expressing itself in the world. It will tend to be a more internal experience.

I find that the planets in angles in my chart (Sun, Moon, Jupiter) express themselves strongly in my life. However, if you total up the shadbala of the planets, the planet that gets the most points is Mercury, so Mercury would be considered my strongest planet in Jyotish.

Thanks for your thoughts. I am sharing stuff that I learned in my studies, and you can take it or leave it.

DR
    • Unsu...

Sat, January 12, 2008 - 3:57 AM
      "Planets conjunct ascendant, vertex or Nnode are good planets. "

Heey, that's a good point. The North Node shows what u must become in this life, so any planet conjunct it will be with u every step of the way.
      I've got my Mercury conjunct both NN and Vertex.

Buuut...what about the other hard aspects to the Node? Oppositions...ok, maybe not, cuz a planet opposing the NN will be conjunct the SN, meaning it'll want u to stay where u are, and not progress.

But what about squares to the Node? Those planets will be with u every step of the way, also. Probably not in a good way, but they'll still have a big influence on u.
  • _
    _
    offline 25

Sat, January 12, 2008 - 10:27 PM
    i feel the dominant planets in my chart are definitely mercury and venus and they're both near the mc. but then again, it may also be saturn who trines my sun and opposes my moon and is exalted in libra..

i think i'll just stick with mercury and venus.

Sun, January 20, 2008 - 3:29 PM
    This is an interesting post !! I am confused in regard to my chart too.
    What do you think is dominant in mine ? Pluto or Saturn ? Are they equally dominant or one outweighs the other ? or is it some other planet ?

people.tribe.net/683a1e08-...2f1/photos

Sun, December 20, 2009 - 9:46 AM
      My dominant planets are Pluto Sun and Saturn

Dominant Sing are Pisces Scorpio an Capp ....what confusing me is ...how those affect me ???
      • Unsu...

Sun, December 20, 2009 - 11:24 AM
        My dominant planet is Mercury and sign Gemini. I have lots of Mercury aspects and planets in Gemini. Inside though, my moon in Scorpio feels way more dominant than anything else.

Recent topics in "Astrology"