Advertisement

Mars and Coral

topic posted Wed, June 29, 2005 - 2:12 PM by  freckly
Share/Save/Bookmark
Can someone cite scholarly research connecting Mars and coral?

my professor smaked me down today :) for connecting coral with a character in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales--the Prioress who wears a coral rosarie AND has "love conquers all" on her broach. I am seeing a Venus/Mars connection who are also connected in several other of his tales very closely. the Prioress's tale can be summarized as anti-semitic and very violent in the name of Christ and Mary. I see a very obvious correlation, but my professor thinks it's poo. All of his pilgrims are described with astrological imagery, and almost all of his tales, if not all, have strong astrological references including an actual birth chart for the Wife of Bath. :)

Chaucer was a master astrologer. We know this. yet, "educated" people refute or disclaim the references to astrology in his works. very annoying.

i just want to know for myself
posted by:
freckly
Texas
Advertisement
  • Re: Mars and Coral

Thu, June 30, 2005 - 8:53 AM
    There really is not much connecting Mars & Coral.
    The most obvious of which is that Mars does have a very pink/orangish coral color in the sky (As opposed to Antares, the central Star of scorpio which appears red).

The Coral Braclet was a common medieval remedy for demonic possession. This suggests that the Prioress may have had sporatic epileptic seizures.

You might find a stronger connection in Vedic Astrology Using Skanda (Mars). There are several remedies for badly aspected Mars energy that include coral bracelets. (I think this is where you are getting your coral association from? Right?)

There are tales of Hephestus that say he fashsioned his earliest artifacts from coral before he progressed to volcanic metal. Sadly there is little indication that the Greeks would have merged Heph... and Ares for astrological reasons.

As for Chaucer, is there any evidence that he was an expert mathematician as well? Any such evidence would STRONGLY corraberate any claims that he did much more than just refer to astrological charts. I recall Chaucer operated in a time before the Church actively debunked Astrology. So if people knew he had the knowlege to calculate ephemeris, people would be begging him to do their chart. Please note, I have not done any research on Chaucer lately. (Even Sir Issac Newton had to do Charts for nobility to pay the bills, and he despised the work.)

Thu, June 30, 2005 - 9:04 AM
    I don't know of any scholarly writings on Coral and Mars, but I found this site interesting, albeit more Vedic than Western:
    www.vegetarian-restaurants.net/Ge...htm

Astrological Effects of Coral
    Red coral is ruled by Mars. Coral can be worn by those for whom Mars is lord of an auspicious house in the birth chart. If Mars is the lord of an inauspicious house, it may be harmful to wear red coral. A red coral stone or necklace can be worn to strengthen Mars. The darker the coral, the more powerful the effect.

The auspicious qualities of coral: a good red color, a beautiful appearance, freedom from cracks and holes, a perfectly round or oval shape, a smooth surface, a nice sheen, and a regular shape.

Coral’s possible flaws: cracks, bores in the body, more than one color in the same piece, black or white spots, depressions, a twisted or bent body.A flawless, well-polished, brightly dark red-colored piece of coral will have the best result. Such a piece will increase wealth and remove danger and obstacles.

Those who wear red coral will be brave and defeat their enemies. Red coral helps defeat mental depression, and it protects women from widowhood. Red coral protects the wearer from evil spirits and curses, and stops nightmares. It aids meditation and brings happiness. Red coral can help one avoid violence and war.

Coral turns inactive persons into active ones, helps build finances, increases determination, courage, physical strength, vitality, and leadership qualities, and helps one to finish the tasks he has begun. It can help one get a daughter married or to find a new job. It can help marital life. It can also help increase sexual desire, especially in men. It protects against witchcraft, accidents, and lightning.

Red coral can be useful for policemen and soldiers.

Red coral is said to change color if the wearer is about to suffer bad health.

Red coral transmits the cosmic color yellow, which is related to blood, bone marrow, lymph nodes, and the head. Red coral can thus help improve diseases caused by an afflicted Mars or any relating to the above parts of the body. Red coral also affects the genitals, and works with the immune system, can cure smallpox, fever, headache, jaundice, blood diseases, anemia, weakness, typhoid, allergies, cough, bronchitis, pneumonia, wounds, measles, piles, cough, chickenpox, and problems with bile. Red coral used after three months of pregnancy may also be able to prevent miscarriages.

The weight of the coral used should be at least six (some say three) carats or more, or eight, nine, eleven, or twelve carats for a ring. Coral should be set in gold mixed with copper, or, alternatively, silver. The ring should be worn first on a Tuesday, one hour after sunrise, when the moon is waxing (bright half of the lunar month). It can also be worn first on a Monday or Thursday. It should ideally be set when it is in a sign ruled by Mars, a sign friendly to Mars, during a constellation ruled by Mars or ruled by a friend of Mars, or when Mars is exalted. A coral ring should be worn on the ring finger, index finger, or thumb of the right hand. The ring should be made when Mars is in Capricorn (its exalted sign), Scorpio, or Aries (best), on in the constellations of Mirgashira, Anuradha, Dhanistha, or Chitra.

The mantras for red coral: Om bhom bhomaya namaha om; Om ang angarakaya namaha; Mangalaya namaha; Om kujaya namah; Om mam. Stotra of invocation: “Om dharani garbha sambhutam, viddat kanti sama prabham, kumara sakti hastam tam, mangalam pranamami aham.”

Pink coral, carnelian, bloodstone, and red jasper can be substituted for red coral.Because Mars in not compatible with Mercury or Saturn, red coral or its substitutes should not be worn with the gems ruled by Mercury and Saturn, emerald and blue sapphire or their substitues. According to some authoritites, red coral should also not be worn with diamonds, cat’s eyes, or gomedha and their substitutes. The exception is in the Navaratna setting.

Depending on a person’s occupation, different colors of coral should be worn. A priest, teacher, scientist, or intellectual should wear pink-red. A ruler, soldier, or administrator should wear blood red. A businessman, farmer, or banker should wear orange-red. A laborer, artisan, or servant should wear brown-red.The cosmic number for Mars is nine, the affected element fire, and the affected sense sight. Mars rules the first chakra, Muladhara (base of spine).

Thu, June 30, 2005 - 9:55 AM
      as it says in the first part of the paragraph, wearing coral will not produce these results for every person.
      and with the current state of mars, doing anything to excite his influence would be ill-advised i would think.

you have to consider the ascendant, the sign mars is in, the dispositor of mars and the current dasa (planetary period) the person is in as well and where mars is in the sky.

i am a leo ascendant (in vedic) so mars is the lord of my ninth and fourth houses (dharma houses) and i am in a mars sub-period so strengthening mars for me can work- oh and the dispositor of mars is in it's own sign- it is my strongest or second strongest planet. but i have a coral mala and when i wear it i have to be careful about being cruel, harsh, cutting, derisive and be conscious about cultivating mars' strength. it can go either way - and i am still new learning jyotish so all the principles are not super clear for me.

Thu, June 30, 2005 - 10:22 AM
        Vedic Astrology is based on the main Scriptural text Brihat Parashara Hora sastra. In that book the sage ascribes gems to the planets - he says Coral will strengthen Mars. He is right. I have prescribed it many times to clients, i have worn it myslef to see what it does, it definitely works.

Generally when prescribing Coral it is also good to prescribe Yellow sapphire (jupiter) or Pearl / Moonstone (Moon) to lighten the agressive quality of Mars. I only prescribe it for those w/ a very weak Mars OR to those who are in a Mars period and who I trust are able to transform his agressive nature through sadhana, mantras, yoga, etc. Along with the gem I also will prescribe aromatherapy for Mars or Juipter and other things, usually making sure the client realizes that this is also a part of the healing. Aromatherapy is the most calming.

As durgama has infereed, Mars is a tricky energy. the gem can increase courage and discipline, yet we may use that to fight with everybody over our opinions, which will lead to much unhappiness. BUt a strong Mars is necessary for any meaningful transformation as it is he who gives us real courage to face ourselves rather than blame others for our problems. Once we have that courage his disciplined nature allows us to implement a regimen, endure physical discomfort that will allow us to transform through techniques and action, not intellectualizing and philosophy. Mars is the general of the Army, think of the general waking the troops up early and training them -- he is like the drill seargent that makes us tough to face our daily battles.

Thu, June 30, 2005 - 10:34 AM
      nice post Zane thanks for that -

the only thing that is a little questionalble about it IMO - is the author states "The ring should be made when Mars is in Capricorn (its exalted sign), Scorpio, or Aries (best)" - -

These are positions where Mars is already very strong and functioning with a lot of clarity and purpose - generally such a strong Mars does not need to be augmented w/ a gem. This person will already have a lot of discipline, courage, etc. and a strong Pitta (fire) nature.

Generally gems are used to strengthen weak planets. I have found it is better to strengthen Mars when he is weak and is the Lord of the 1st house (Scorpio, Aries) or the Lord of trinal Houses (for Sag, Pisces) and ESPECIALY for those with Leo and Cancer ascendants as he rules an angle and a trinal house in their charts, making him the most important planet for them.

All of the mantras are the names of mars in Jyotish

Mangal - Kuja - Angaraka - and the "Dharani Garba sambutam,," is from the Nava graha Stotram, by sage vyasa.

I have recordings of those mantra at my website if anyoone is interested.
      www.vedicastrologycenter.net/man...html
    • Unsu...

Re: Mars and Coral

Thu, June 30, 2005 - 2:45 PM
      See, now, I just don't connect coral to Mars. To me, coral is watery. I tend to associate it with Neptune or Pisces. That's not only my opinion. I find much of Vedic astrology's gem correspondences to be counterintuitive.

For example, I follow the school of thought that Jupiter's colors are blue and purple, not yellow. Some of Jupiter's stones are the heavenly blue turquoise or blue sapphire, but also amethyst, lapis, and blue topaz. To me, warm yellow topaz is a sun/Leo stone rather.

Other examples, I have always been taught and read that Venus is green and one of its stones is emerald. I just don't see emerald or green as a Mercury stone or color, as proscribed by Vedic astrology. Agate and sardonyx come in variegated forms, thus associating them with Mercury.

For a Mars stone, I would choose bloodstone; ruby, "glowing red with the fire of Mars"; or garnet. The ruby is said to grant protection and victory in battle.

Ruby and bloodstone are historically linked with Mars. Among the English crown jewels is the Black Prince's ruby. Henry V had the stone mounted in a coronet, which he wore on his helmet at the Battle of Agincourt. According to legend, the coronet saved his life when it stopped a blow aimed at his head. The part that was broken off: the piece containing the ruby.

Bloodstone was also a favorite amulet of soldiers. It was believed to stop bleeding and bestow bravey. Soldiers carried large smooth stones, of a shape suitable for binding to wounds.

As for Mars # being 9, this is also a matter of opinion. I have seen the numbers 3 and 5 (active numbers) attributed to Mars by reputable astrologers. Nine is traditionally associated with Neptune (9 being a higher octave of 6, Venus) or the Moon.

I have also read that Vedic astrologers disagree on whether it is best to strengthen a weak planet, or to augment a strong planet. One argument against strengthening a weak planet, especially Sun or Mars, is that this will "trigger" those aspects, similar to locational astrology where your residence triggers certain areas of your chart. (If I have a hard time dealing with those challenges described by the squares to my Sun, then I avoid those places on the planet, and don't wear solar jewelry.)

I tend to lean toward accenting the best planet(s) and aspects in one's chart. I am a writer, and my chart ruler is Jupiter in my 5th house of creativity, which trines my 9th house (publishing) stellium, including Mars. Whereas, my Sun is in my 12th house and afflicted (squares Mars), and the Moon (which Vedic astrology says is my ruler) is not in the best sign placement (Scorpio) for the Moon. Naturally, I'm going to want to augment Jupiter, which has gotten me out of more than one scrape.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

Thu, June 30, 2005 - 2:53 PM
        hey kalessing - i agree - I generally would only strengthe Mars if he is your "best" planet, yet is weak. Because for the signs where he is strong, they will try to rely on his strength and if he cannot deliver they will suffer. Leos, Cancer, Sag, Pisces, Aries, Scorp's with a wealk Mars can feel pretty bad - the other signs it is better to strengthen others.. in my opinion - it is tricky though - each person is different.. for instance if a person has a very weak Mars, but a strong Sun, the Sun can bail out a lot of the weakness -- the other thing to consider w/ gems - is they increase the dosha.. Mars is fire. I wore a coral for 1 day and felt heart palpitation, developed 2 nasty herpes sores (pitta) in just one day,, I have a very strong Sun and pitta nature.. The best rules is there are no hard and fast rules,, keep the principles in mind,

Thu, June 30, 2005 - 4:49 PM
          Litestorm, Chaucer was a master astrologer/astronomer. He wrote the Treatise on the Astrolabe.

I've read about 22 books this semester on Chaucer and astrology. of course some of it is just heresy. :) but some of it is FASCINATING.

if you're interested, one of the most interesting books i've read is Marijan Osborn's Time and the Astrolabe in The Canterbury Tales. great detail.

Thanks for all the information!

Chaucer traveled a lot. He refers to India multiple times in Tales. It could very well be where and why he makes the association.

Thu, June 30, 2005 - 4:50 PM
            yikes, i can tell i'm exhausted...

Marijane Osborn

interestingly interesting :)

Thu, June 30, 2005 - 5:22 PM
              I found Coral to be very Mars-like because it is built with zealous and unrelenting energy. Also, I think Sri Yukteshwarji, the teacher of Paramhansa Yogananda, said Coral was attributed to Mars. But this would be the red Coral; I don't know about the other kinds.

Thu, June 30, 2005 - 6:25 PM
                Jyotir,
                any Vedic references will cite Coral as the Gem for mars. Red Coral is hotter, Pink coral is milder,,

One thing to remember also about the Vedic approach to remedies, as seen in Ayurveda, (the medical system that works in harmony with Jyotish) everything is about balance. that is why if a planet is already strong, there is no need to further strengthen it. In Jyotish and ayurveda. There will already be a sufficient quantity of that energy / element -- and to further strengthen it will be at the expense of something else. We only have so much energy. to continually throw fuel on a raging fire (for example) will simply evaporate all of the water and deplete the oxygen/require more oxygen to keep the flame burning. Balance is always preferred.

Yes jyotishis will disagree about how to do it, but those who have studied some ayurvedic principles will usually be a little closer aligned... at least i have found shared clients with certain Jyotishis are more consistent..

Recent topics in "Astrology"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
What's Your Animal Yoni? Unsubscribed 107 November 9, 2014
I don't know.. dejan 8 October 31, 2014
HELP! Am I cursed? SaraH 10 October 27, 2014
book : Person Centered Astrology, by Dane Rudhyar K 0 October 25, 2014