Advertisement

What is a Mean Node?

topic posted Mon, May 25, 2009 - 5:08 PM by  SecSip
Share/Save/Bookmark
I just found out mine is in Pisces and in the 7th house just like the rest of my Pisces in my chart. What is it? I have seen it used in here before but just thought it was another way of referring to one's North (True) Node, but I see that it's not.
posted by:
SecSip
Pittsburgh
Advertisement
  • Nodes
    The point in the zodiac where a planet, particularly the Moon, passes from southern into northern lattitude is called the North Node and when moving in the opposite direction (crossing from north to south) is called the South Node. The motion of the Moon's Mean Node is retrograde, about 3' per day (see Dragon's Head). The True Node oscillates according to the Moon's "wobble" caused by the gravitational effects of the Earth/Moon interaction, so sometimes has periods of direct motion. The Mean Node averages this "wobble" out. The north node is called the ascending, the south the descending node. Neither the Sun nor the Earth have nodes. More on the Moon's Nodes.

sourced from: www.astrologycom.com/glossn.html
    • Okay like most of astrology that was over my head and is why I have never gotten much of a grasp on it just by reading websites and books alone lol.

But the gist I'm getting is that it's not an addition but a clarification of where the North Node placement actually is.
      • Yeah...I think thats right..
        its the mid point of the true nodes "wobble"
        I wonder how many degrees it wobbles?
        not that I should, cos I dont reckon it
        would be enough to alter any interpretation...
        so why do they bother with it at all?
        • Yeah, that is basically my attitude. Hell, I have enough trouble figuring out how to read friggin Saturn in my chart, let alone midpoints of random wobbles in nodes of stuff. I mean, honestly, give me a break.
          • I was always confused about the difference between "true" node and "mean" node. I've read in some places that the "true" node is the more accurate in timing, but I don't really know too much. (Charts at astrodienst usually go by the "true" node.)

Recent topics in "Astrology"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Chiron square Uranus transit Girl 5 Today, 5:24 PM
HELP! Am I cursed? SaraH 5 September 13, 2014
Fomalhaut conjucts North Node Tomasz 2 September 10, 2014
A Mystical and Confounding Full Moon. There is also the Yod to... K 0 September 7, 2014