Advertisement

astrodienst : grid next to natal chart - what does it mean?

topic posted Sun, September 12, 2010 - 4:03 AM by  Sarah
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hi all,

when you generate a natal chart through the Astrodienst website it gives you a picture of your chart on the right, a table of your sign placements (degrees etc) an aspect grid at the bottom and in between them a grid with F/A/E/W on one side and C/F/M on the other. obviously f a e w is fire air earth and water but cant think what the C F and M stand for? i worked out that each sign going down the column of the grid is related to the others in the column in that they form t-squares or grand crosses (i think)....

any further insight?

Thanks
posted by:
Sarah
Australia
Advertisement
  • They're the modes so, Cardinal, Fixed and Mutable.

Cardinal: Aries, Cancer, Libra, Capricorn
    Fixed: Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, Aquarius
    Mutable: Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, Pisces

"i worked out that each sign going down the column of the grid is related to the others in the column in that they form t-squares or grand crosses (i think).... "

Not sure what you mean here.
    • ah ok, thanks for that....

-->in my grid each sign in a single cell is conjunct all other signs in that same cell and then square or opposite to each of the other signs in the other cells in the grid in that particular column....if that makes sense. too wordy...

for eg- in my first column (cardinal) i have mars conjunct pluto in air and then mercury in water...and mars/pluto are square to mercury. then in the next column i have planets in each element (f a e w) and signs in each element are also square and opposite to planets in each element.

thinking about it that makes sense bc each element is next to each other so they are going to be square.

i guess you could use the grid to tell you where your t-squares and grand crosses are...have you used it for this purpose?

S

(god am i confusing the hell outta ya!?)
      • "(god am i confusing the hell outta ya!?) "

Just a little!

"in my grid each sign in a single cell is conjunct all other signs in that same cell and then square or opposite to each of the other signs in the other cells in the grid in that particular column....if that makes sense. too wordy... "

Which grid are you looking at though? Is it the one that shows the modes and elements, if so then I think that's just coincidence. The FAEW, CFM grid is just a table to show the distribution of the planets amongst the quadruplicities and triplicities, which just means the modes (fixed, cardinal or mutable) and the elements (fire, air, water earth). That's all. So if you have a planet in, say, Leo, that planet will be in the fixed column and the fire row, because Leo is the Fixed Fire sign.

The aspect grid on the other hand just has columns and rows of every planet and then, if there is an aspect between the two planets, the symbol will be found in the relevant cell. There is nothing that really demonstrates the aspect patterns, unless you consider the aspect grid and cross check against all other planets - which would be tedious!

All the aspect patterns just jump out of the chart at me so to find them just look at the chart bit itself. Grand trines are a big blue equilateral triangle, and t-squares are all in red and are the shape, obviously, of a t-square that you might have used when you were in school.
      • Sarah -

Going with Paul on this one - you're reading too much into the grid of elements and qualities.

Yes, it's true that there are going to be some correspondences between planets in each element and their aspects to each other in the chart. Same thing with qualities (fixed, cardinal, and mutable). However, those correspondences are due to the cyclic nature of the elements and qualities around the zodiac wheel.

If you start with Aries, you'll see that the elemental pattern of fire/earth/air/water is repeated in that order three times throughout the zodiac. Each element is represented by three signs in the zodiac, and each element's signs are exactly four signs apart. So if two planets are in signs which share the same element, they will ALWAYS look like they are at least close to being in trine to each other.

Remember, however, that just because two planets are in signs that are 120 degrees apart, that doesn't mean that the planets themselves are precisely 120 degrees apart. You'll have to look to the chart and the exact planetary placements to determine whether the planets actually ARE trine to each other. (Most astrologers consider an orb of 6-8 degrees to be close enough.)

It works the same way with qualities. The cycle of cardinal/fixed/mutable repeats four times over the course of the zodiac. Two planets in signs that have the same quality are always going to be close to square or opposite in aspect, because all of the planets sharing the same quality are three (or six) signs apart from each other. Again, you'll have to check the exact degree placements of the planets involved to make sure they are within orb to make the aspect valid.

You do bring up a good point in that the element/quality grid does help you quickly identify potential trines, squares, and oppositions. But as Paul mentioned, you can get this information just as easily by looking at the chart itself.
        • ok thanks guys. good to clarify that as i have been looking at it for yrs but never got around to figuring it out. think it is a coincidence that my placements in the FAEW CFM grid roughly correspond to square, grand crosses etc but yes of course thats bc of the reasons you outlined about the cyclical nature of the elements etc.
          interesting.

Thanks again

Recent topics in "Astrology"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Chiron square Uranus transit Girl 5 September 15, 2014
HELP! Am I cursed? SaraH 5 September 13, 2014
Fomalhaut conjucts North Node Tomasz 2 September 10, 2014
A Mystical and Confounding Full Moon. There is also the Yod to... offlineK 0 September 7, 2014